Chapter 2 (Theories of Development)
- Purpose of Activity
- To compare and contrast the theories of the following theorists:
- Key Concepts
- Cognitive Development
- Psychosocial Development
- Moral Reasoning
- Discontinuous Stage Theories
- Graphic Organizers are an example of scaffolding
- An excellent method to compare the theories of Piaget, Vygotsky, Erikson and
Kolhberg is using a graphic organizer found below. It is suggested that it should be used as a review at the conclusion of the chapter. The format is as follows:
- Please have students list the elements of each theorist in the appropriate square (please note that the number of items depends on your needs). Then in the rectangle they could list the elements they have in common.
- Suggested responses (feel free to add your own to the suggested list):
Please point out that the graphic organizer above is an example of a scaffolding activity. That is, it helps/supports learners to visualize relationships between various concepts that might not automatically be seen. In other words, it makes learning easier.