The Curious Researcher offers an inquiry-based theme throughout designed to remind students that curiosity is still the best reason for uncovering information and ideas.
Perfect for instructors eager for an alternative to the traditional text, this book shows students that the research process, like the writing process, can be full of rewarding discoveries.
Using a variety of examples from both professional writers and students, this text shows that good research and lively writing do not have to be mutually exclusive. Students are encouraged to not only develop sound research and analytical skills, but to examine ways to bring their writing to life, even though they are writing with facts.
This text is designed to battle procrastination as well. Its unique organization helps students work week-by-week through the five weeks typically allotted to the research assignment, featuring exercises and assignments that will help students write their papers.
Though The Curious Researcher stands apart from similar texts because of its motivational qualities, it also features full explanations of the technical aspects of the research paper.
- Lively, accessible tone. This text itself is as an example of good writing and shows that good research is also good writing and that research can be a process of discovery. Helps instructors demonstrate that research papers can be equally interesting and accessible.
- Five-week structure designed to overcome procrastination by suggesting weekly activities (and assignments) that keep the process going.
- Complete information on using the Internet for research includes an extensive discussion of how to evaluate Web sources.
- Productive exercises help students actually write their papers, rather than engage in busywork not directly related to the assignment.
- Integrated approach presents research paper writing as an activity that is not separate from other writing assignments. Integrates the research paper into the class, building on the skills students have developed through writing essays.
- Comprehensive library exercises take students step-by-step through all key references for college research, and help them begin researching their papers.
- Appendix on Tips on Writing on Literary Topics features coverage of and suggestions on how to approach a literary subject.
- Extensive discussion of topic choice. Discusses choosing a topic throughout, emphasizing the importance of curiosity.
- A Companion Website with Online Practice Tests now offers additional student tips and exercises and helpful links for students engaged in the research process.
New to This Edition
- Extended coverage of plagiarism helps students understand the problem and avoid it.
- New and detailed coverage of reading like a researcher includes exercises.
- Encourages students to develop a working knowledge of their topic by exploring both the Web and the library before they start writing.
- Expanded and updated treatment of MLA and APA citation formats, including full coverage of electronic citation formats, now provides a comprehensive resource.
- Extensive coverage of the specific research strategies of interviewing and surveying has been combined in one chapter (ch.2).