Welcome to the Companion Website for A Sequence for Academic Writing! Sometimes reading and using a new textbook can be a daunting task—just flipping through the table of contents can be overwhelming, causing as much intimidation as excitement. For this reason, Pearson Education has created a guide that will lead you through each chapter slowly, outlining its key elements for you and providing opportunities to practice its concepts. This Website will aid you during your reading and in understanding the text's chapters.
You will find various resources on the Website, including: a guide to each chapter, writing and critical thinking activities, revision activities, Web resources, and student model papers.
We are delighted that you are using the textbook A Sequence for Academic Writing in your class and hope you will find the above resources helpful in your studies of composition.
- Chapter Guide: The chapter guide will outline the chapter for you, highlighting its key elements. The guide can assist you in note taking and listening during class lectures. It can help you see an overall picture of the chapter much more clearly in order to determine the chapter's purpose and relevance to your class.
- Writing Exercises: You will find several exercises that will help you in further understanding the chapter's concepts and practicing the new techniques it teaches. These short exercises allow you to answer questions based on the chapter or on a short reading, and e-mail your work to your instructor.
- Revision Activities: You will find activities that require a bit more thought and skill here as you actually apply the concepts taught in each chapter to an example by revising the example yourself. Again you can e-mail your work to your instructor for further direction and assistance.
- Web Resources: You will find a variety of Web links that will further develop the concepts being taught in the chapter.
- Student Model Papers: You will find models other students like yourself have written for an assignment based on the chapter. These models can help you understand how to write your own essay assignment.
To get started, simply select a chapter from the pull-down menu above or the chapter menu to the left of your screen.