This chapter introduces the narration pattern of development and demonstrates how this pattern can fit your essay's purpose and audience. It discusses ways in which narration can be used with the other development patterns and presents strategies for using narration in an essay:
- identify point of narrative conflict;
- develop only those details that advance the narrative point;
- organize the narrative sequence;
- make the narrative easy to follow;
- make the narrative vigorous and immediate;
- keep the point of view and verb tense consistent.
You will also find helpful prewriting and revision/peer review checklists, activities to hone your storytelling skills, and student and professional examples of narration essays.