This chapter introduces the division-classification pattern of development and demonstrates how this pattern can fit your essay's purpose and audience. It discusses ways in which division-classification can be used with the other development patterns and presents strategies for using division-classification in an essay:
- select a principle of division-classification consistent with your purpose;
- apply the principle of division-classification logically;
- prepare an effective thesis;
- organize the paper logically;
- state any conclusions or recommendations in the paper's final section.
You will also find helpful prewriting and revision/peer review checklists, dividing and classifying activities, and student and professional examples of division-classification essays.