This chapter introduces the definition pattern of development and demonstrates how this pattern can fit your essay's purpose and audience. It discusses ways in which definition can be used with the other development patterns and presents strategies for using definition in an essay:
- stay focused on the essay's purpose, audience, and tone;
- formulate an effective definition;
- develop an extended definition;
- organize the material that develops the definition;
- write an effective introduction.
You will also find helpful prewriting and revision/peer review checklists, definition activities, and student and professional examples of definition essays.